Last week, we posted an excerpt from a scathing report on the dangerous conditions at Tesla’s factory in Fremont, California. The report claimed that Tesla has sacrificed worker safety for the sake of meeting production goals and accommodating the whims of its charismatic CEO, Elon Musk.
Tesla responded by calling the report fake news* and boasting about its stellar safety record. Which makes the timing of two new safety investigations at the plant just a tiny bit awkward. Bloomberg reports:
California’s Division of Occupational Safety and Health was notified last week of a serious injury sustained by a 30-year-old man at Tesla’s assembly plant. The regulator, known as Cal/OSHA, started an investigation on April 12.
The worker “was struck by a skid carrier and was transported to the San Jose Regional Hospital with a broken jaw and laceration to the face,” Erika Monterroza, a spokeswoman for California’s industrial relations department, said in an email. The man was employed by Automatic Systems Inc., a company based in Kansas City, Missouri.
The incident and inspection haven’t been reported previously and took place before Tesla’s safety practices came under scrutiny this week. The Center for Investigative Reporting’s Reveal published a story Monday saying Tesla failed to report serious injuries as legally required. On Tuesday, Cal/OSHA opened its second inspection involving Tesla in five days. While the agency hasn’t specifically identified what spurred that probe, Monterroza said the regulator “takes seriously reports of workplace hazards and allegations of employers’ underreporting recordable work-related injuries and illnesses.”
* I’m so ready for the world to stop using that phrase.